High Risk Pool

Discussion in 'Community Debates' started by Alyth, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Alyth

Alyth Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    I am SOOO excited!!! It seems NC is going to get a high risk pool VERY SOON! It has just been approved and went through the house and senate and is now in the governor's hands waiting for him to sign it. This means I don't have to sell an arm and a leg and my right eye just to afford the health insurance I currently have. It's sick how North Carolina has one of the highest health insurance rates.

It's not that they have the worst rates, it's the Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina that has become such a monster. They just had free reign to charge people whatever they felt was fair. They were also known to charge people based on what they COULD have due to their family history. Not fair to say the least. Now they have to charge the high risk people based on how little they charge the normal healthy people. Those commercials on TV are right that they charge +/- $100 for a regular healthy person. Sometimes less, sometimes more. But they'd charge over $1500 for someone with a chronic disease and their already high rates would raise insanely based on if the customer had to see the doctor or go to the emergency room for any reason.

It still won't really start until the middle of next year, but at least it's on it's way. The insurance companies will be allowed to raise rates, but they are now ordered to raise everyone's rates and not just those they want to take advantage of and there will be a limit to how much they can raise each year...mainly because they will loose all their good, healthy customers if they raise their rates as badly as the less fortunate.

Now it's just a matter of getting myself signed in to the new high risk pool! ;D

2. Luciann

Luciann Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    good luck Azile.

It is totally disgusting how expensive it is to get health insurance and then if you work for a company usually what they offer is not very good either it makes it hard for some of us to pay the premiums AND see the doctor

3. Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    It's definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't understand the logic behind charging more for someone who is at high risk. Yes, there is the possibility of more visits, or different services needed, but that is balanced by the hundreds of folks who seldom use their medical coverage.

For example, the company for whom I work offers a (very good) basic health care plan. What they pay the HMOs is supplemented by a monthly amount that is taken from my paycheck. We go to the doctor maybe once or twice a year (well, except for when Wookie gets some undefinable condition, like ants visiting his brain). So, it seems like the HMO is making a profit on us, and many others like us, which should make up for the potential cost of a higher risk customer.

I'd like to see the check and balance books on the Insurance profits and losses. Seems like there should be a way to meet the needs of everyone without hurting the quality of health care.

4. Alyth

Alyth Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    It's pretty well known that if the health insurance companies can charge more to get more money in their pockets, they will. The major one here protested the high risk every year until their complaining got into public news and they started to get a bad name. So, they sat this time out and the bill got passed. Then, they had the gaul to say they aren't going to pay for any of the high risk pool. Now they have to pay through taxes. That's a decent compromise. I don't understand that entirely so I won't explain it, but it sounds like a good way to get the high risk pool funded.

5. Luciann

Luciann Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    unfortunately with an insurance company it is like any other business they are in it for a profit, which means that they dont' want to treat anyone with a long term illness because that cuts into their profit.

I resent the fact that with the prohibitative cost of health care, being in a single income family that even thou i have insurance if i have to have surgury provided it is not a life threatening, i would have to pay the 20% out of pocket before being able to get the procedure done.

And then you ahve the people who cannot even afford insurance or health care at all

6. Alyth

Alyth Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    It's difficult. It took a while for me to come to terms with how they view peopel like me in the high risk category. I felt like such a thorn. ...an outcast ...like I'm being punished for something I didn't even want in the first place.

I was at the end of my budget. I could barely afford it and with my goal to have a family, we were going to be a bit squeezed for cash. We were just going to deal with it. With a new career in the making, I figured that would really help us out. Now with the high risk pool not too far in the future, now we might have some left over to save up for future needs. I am ESCTATIC about this new premium set up.

I just talked with a doctor I know. He HIGHLY recommended people see Sicko by Michael Moore. Although the message may appear harsh to insurance companies, he felt there are a lot of truths there that he is faced with every day as a doctor. Most doctors hate the insurance companies. Though we appreciate them when we need them for our health needs, we can't accept how they are raping us at the same time.

To be honest, it seems like because of the way health insurance companies limit the care of patients, doctors are unable to uphold the hypocratic oath (to do no harm, etc...) to it's fullest potential. For example, a doctor sees a patient is in great need of a surgical procedure to let's say, correct a sever heart murmur. Though that patient might not have an immediate need because his heart is functioning at the time, but it will be causing major problems in the future (possibly near future...). But, that patient's health insurance doesnt' cover non-emergency operations over a certain amount. Let's say the surgery would cost 15,000 dollars as it is now, but the insurance company won't cover any volunteer surgeries above 8,000 dollars. That patient who is in need of a surgery would not be covered and most likely would have to turn down the surgery until it becomes an emergency operation. That doctor who knows this would save his patient has to sit back and watch his patient slowly die. If you've ever watched the movie, John Q, it touches on this very subject. The doctor may seem harsh, but he knows he can't fight the insurance companies to save his patient so he has to turn the patient away. It's so unbelievably true how these insurance companies tie neusses around doctors' necks so they can profit a little extra dough.

I haven't seen Sicko, but I plan to.

7. Luciann

Luciann Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    i have not seen it either but i know that with in the next couple of years i will have to have surgury to have a polyp removed (again) but i cannot afford the 3K deductible for a hospital stay so i have not gone to the doctor yet about it.

i plan on changing to the insurance that my company has so that i can save up my premiums that i am paying now...it is very frustrating

8. Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm Regular Member

Credit:
    $0.00
    We saw a blurp on the news last night that said half of the bankruptcies in California are due to health care costs. A link to a news article is here.

Now that's just sad. :toff: